Sunday, August 12, 2018

Finding Your Unique Ability

While reading the book Traction, I was deeply intrigued by the idea of having "the right people in the right seats".  I wondered how you can ensure you're making these decisions based on data rather than ego.   Traction recommends the book Unique Ability.  I decided to give it a try to test the process and learn how objective it was.

The book provides three methods to find your Unique Ability:

  1. Survey people you know (send an email to get a written reply to a single question)
  2. Take the Kolbe A Assessment (determine your Mode of Operation or how you do things)
  3. Take the StrengthsFinder Assessment (measure your natural talents)

I went through all of the above and had some very interesting results.  As I step back and look at the patterns overall, I find it that all methods came out with a simliar response.  There was a key pattern that emerged across all three.  

What's really interesting is that before I started all of this, I jotted down my thoughts on my Unique Ability.  The first few things I wrote were spot on.  So I already knew my answer before going through any of these exercises.  However, going through these practices was a lot of fun and, in the end, helped me to know my Unique Ability with clear precision.  

It was a really fun journey and I highly recommend for you to give it a try!  Hearing feedback from others was most enjoyable and helpful.  I selected 5 of each type of person to give me a well-rounded view: family, coworkers, and friends.  Both assessments gave me good information.  If I had to recommend just one of the tests, I'd suggest StrengthsFinder.  It's a great tool that makes finding this information scalable and dependable.


My Unique Ability Results

Survey Results:  15 people replied with three main themes in the responses; in order
  1. Ability to organize a lot of data into a unified, simple plan - and drive progress.
  2. Determination to learn, deeply understand, apply, and teach.
  3. Compassionate, positive energy.

Kolbe A Results:  My standard mode of operation, how I do things (8-6-3-3); in order
  1. Strategize - Gather all the info to understand cause, determine practical approach, and prioritize
  2. Maintain - Look for ways to fit the project into the existing system
  3. Stabilize - Advocate for what needs to stay the same
  4. Envision - Visualize how it could work, ideal solutions

StrengthsFinder 2.0 Results: My Natural Talent (easiest to develop into strengths); in order 
  1. Achiever - Work hard, productive
  2. Learner - Love process of learning, continuously improve
  3. Focus - Prioritize, act, stay on track
  4. Connectedness - See links between things
  5. Relator - Enjoy close relationships

Reference
  • Traction by Gino Wickman
  • Unique Ability by Catherine Noumra and Julia Waller, based on the concept created by Dan Sullivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment